Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Zen of Housework


I love housework.  No, I'm serious: housework really does rule.  And before you start tutting and shaking your head, I'm by no means your stereotypical suburban housewife.  For one thing, I'm a writer, and everyone knows that writers are eccentric.  I'm also a perfectionist, and if there's one thing I enjoy, it's cleaning house.  Now, a lot of my friends employ cleaners, and some of them have suggested that I, as a gainfully-employed 21st century woman, might do the same; after all, I'm a homeowner, I have a cat, and a husband, etc. etc. 

I did consider it - but I can tell you right now what would happen: the minute the cleaner's car pulled out of my driveway I'd be retracing her steps with a duster and mop.  You see, nobody cleans my house quite like me.  They miss spots.  They move stuff and don't put it back properly.  They do a half-assed job.  There's cat fluff in the corner of the sofa: I can see it!  There are crumbs under the stove!  And the fridge - don't even talk to me about the state of the fridge.  And my antique crystal decanter - a family heirloom, mind you - has been moved half an inch to the left. 

No, I won't be hiring a cleaner any time soon.  Cleaning my house just makes me so happy.  It's also really useful vis-a-vis the writing process. You have no idea how many thorny plot problems I've resolved while dusting.  It's like, a meditative writer's tool.  No, wait: it's The Zen of Housework.  Almost, but not quite, as fulfilling as writing itself.

N.B.: I stole borrowed the graphic above from 50s Housewife.  Her blog is great - go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment