Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Daily Snark

I saw a woman this morning carrying a tiny purse, covered in zips and buckles.  It was a proper purse, with a shoulder strap and everything, but I have to wonder what in tarnation is she going to put into it?  A lipstick?  One teabag? A single tampon?  That's about all it had room for.  You couldn't even fit a teacup poodle in there.  Granted, it was shiny, and it probably cost her a week's groceries, but still.

See, I used to be the anti-purse.  I prided myself on carrying a wallet like a man, and nothing else.  I didn't need anything else, darn it!  That all ended when I started wearing reading glasses.  Which begs the question, what do men do with their reading glasses?  Where do they put them?  (Yes, alright - inside pocket.  Which means a jacket.  I'm a girl.  I don't wear jackets with inside pockets.)  But I digress; where was I? Oh yes, purses. 

When I finally realized I was, in fact, a woman, and did, contrary to all my quasi-militant tomboy tendencies, require a purse, I did not go out and sink precious housekeeping money into either a teensy-weensy bit of patent leather that wouldn't hold a pack of gum, or its monstrous cousin, the sack.  I'm sure you've seen women walking around with the sack: a shapeless fabric bag stuffed so full it threatens to break the bearer's shoulder.  It is distinctly unattractive and makes the bearer look like a hobo.  No, when I finally caved, I bought a satchel. 


Here: I love it so much I posted a picture.  Seriously, ladies, within about five minutes this became My New Favourite.  I've had it over a year now and I absolutely adore it.  It's not too big, not too small, I can fit my wallet, chequebook, sunglasses and yes, those all-important reading glasses into it.  It has handy separate zipped pockets so that smaller items such as keys and lipstick don't get lost; and best of all, my cellphone fits in the front latched pocket so I no longer have to dig for my cell when it rings.  The leather is amazing quality, buffs up a treat with a bit of dubbin, and Roots will even replace, for free, any fittings such as zippers, etc. if they break.  Now that's old-fashioned customer service.

Shameless Promo:  Roots Canada

Here endeth the Snark of the Day.  Please feel free to comment, or if you have a snark of your own, I'd love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment