Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I ran today.

No, you don't understand: this is a big deal.  I've never been a runner.  I've never been able to run.  I can walk for miles and miles, and I think my fitness level is pretty average - I go to the gym two or three times a week, I try to eat healthy.  But I used to be such a skinny minnie and over the years, well, the weight creeps up and the waistline gets thicker ... you know what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about what used to be called middle age spread.  Now, that sounds to me like something pretty disgusting that you slap on toast, but in fact it's that phenomenon where, when you hit a certain age, your belly suddenly starts to develop a roll.  Then before you can say double fudge brownie you bend over and you've got two rolls.  It's at that point when anyone with an ounce of self-respect says "Whoa!" and vows to take action.

As far as I can tell, running is the hands-down most effective way of burning fat and boosting cardio health.  Plus, it's the perfect excuse to spend money at Lululemon.  So, armed with some excellent advice from a runner friend, off I went to the gym.  I was amazed that her tips worked, and lo and behold, I managed to run!  Not very far, mind you - only a tenth of a mile at a time, then walk a tenth, run a tenth, and so on - but I managed 3 rounds over 10 minutes, which to me was a miracle of Biblical proportions.  I actually felt like I could have run more; I wanted to run more.  But I stuck to her instructions not to overdo it and carried on with the rest of my workout.  But man - running felt good. 

Now, cover your eyes, because I'm going to post some vital statistics, just so I can track my progress:

Gender: Female
Age: Older than Shania Twain but younger than Madonna
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 145 lbs
Pants Size:10

Goal Weight: 125 lbs
Goal Pants Size: 6
Particular Goal: to feel comfortable in a bikini again.

Okay, you can open your eyes again!  I really hope I can keep up with the running, and improve in increments.  I'll post progress as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment